The Big Short
– Four denizens in the world of high-finance predict the credit and housing bubble collapse of the mid-2000s, and decide to take on the big banks for their greed and lack of foresight. Awards: Nominated for 5 Oscars including Best Picture, Director, Screenplay and Actor (Christian Bale).
– En route to meet his estranged daughter and attempting to revive his dwindling career, a broken, middle-aged comedian (Neil Hamburger) plays a string of dead-end shows in the Mojave desert. Festivals: Sundance, SXSW, Nashvile.
The Good Dinosaur
– In a world where dinosaurs and humans live side-by-side, an Apatosaurus named Arlo makes an unlikely human friend in the newest Pixar film.
I Smile Back
– Laney Brooks (Sarah Silverman) does bad things. Married with kids, she takes the drugs she wants, sleeps with the men she wants, disappears when she wants. Now, with the destruction of her family looming, and temptation everywhere, Laney makes one last desperate attempt at redemption. Festivals: Sundance, Toronto, Chicago.
– In this Jordanian film, set in the Ottoman province of Hijaz during World War I, a young Bedouin boy experiences a greatly hastened coming of age as he embarks on a perilous desert journey to guide a British officer to his secret destination. Award: Nominated for Best Foreign Film (Oscars). Festivals: Toronto, Venice (Best Director Winner).