A fairly slow week this week, although it does feature my favorite movie of 2015 (so far), Room.
– The former World Heavyweight Champion Rocky Balboa serves as a trainer and mentor to Adonis Johnson, the son of his late friend and former rival Apollo Creed. Awards: Best Supporting Actor – Sylvester Stallone (Oscars – nominated; Golden Globes – won).
Labyrinth of Lies
– A story that exposes the conspiracy of prominent German institutions and government branches to cover up the crimes of Nazis during World War II. Germany’s submission to the Academy Awards. Toronto Film Festival.
The Peanuts Movie
– Snoopy embarks upon his greatest mission as he and his team take to the skies to pursue their arch-nemesis, while his best pal Charlie Brown begins his own epic quest back home to win the love of his life. Award: Best Animated Film nomination (Golden Globes).
– Room gives the viewer a window into a world of darkness – a harrowing nightmare for a mother and son held captive in unimaginable circumstances for years. Yet after five-year-old Jack and his mother escape from the enclosed surroundings that Jack has known his entire life, the boy makes a thrilling discovery. Awards: Nominated for four Oscars (Best Picture, Actress, Directing and Adapted Screenplay). Won Best Actress for Brie Larson at the Golden Globes, and the People’s Choice Award at the Toronto Film Festival.
– In 1947, Dalton Trumbo was Hollywood’s top screenwriter, until he and other artists were jailed and blacklisted for their political beliefs. Awards: Best Actor nomination for Bryan Cranston (Oscars & Golden Globes).