I’m glad for a slow week of new releases this week. Obviously I’m most excited about the Alex Dezen album, but I’m also excited for Stephen Kellogg, Blowfly‘s swan song, and I’ll be watching Deadpool this weekend.
Alex Dezen – ST
– First solo album from the singer/songwriter from The Damnwells. Music Video: “Ode to Ex-Girlfriends.”
Blowfly – 77 Rusty Trombones
– Clarence Reid was an accomplished music producer and songwriter who started writing vulgar, sexually obsessed parody songs on the side under the name Blowfly. Forty-five years later when he passed away at age 76, he had recorded over 2 dozen albums under his alter ego.
OST-Deadpool (Junkie XL)
– The soundtrack to the Marvel film (also released today). is scored by Junkie XL, who also scored last years Mad Max: Fury Road, and is sprinkled with some dopey songs from the 80’s (Juice Newton), 90’s (Salt-N-Pepa) and 00’s (DMX).
– Alt-County rockers debut album. Song: “Old Friends“.
Stephen Kellogg – South, West, North, East
– Follow-up to the alt-country singer’s 2003 Blunderstone Rookery, which I was a big fan of. Song: “High Horse”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn6y1tFwB04
Wynonna & The Big Noise – ST
– Country superstar Wynnona Judd‘s first album of original material in over a dozen years. Guest stars Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeshi, and Jason Isbell. Video: “Things That I Lean On“.