This week is overstuffed with sixteen new music releases I’m interested in checking out. Personally, I’m most excited about hearing the new Tortoise, Besnard Lakes, and the I Don’t Cares. There’s a Spotify playlist at the bottom of the list.
Besnard Lakes – A Coliseum Complex Museum
– Atmospheric and textured sonic on the psych-rock band’s fifth album. Video: “The Plain Moon“.
Cait Brennan – Debutante
– Power pop channels 70’s rockers. Listen to the whole album.
Half Japanese – Perfect
– 15th album from Jad Fair’s iconoclastic band. Opening track: “This Is That”
High Llamas – Here Come The Rattling Trees
– Eclectic Irish band mixes pop and folk with electronic music, score work, jazz, psychedelic and more. Title track: “Here Come The Rattling Trees“
I Don’t Cares – Wild Stab
– Paul Westerberg with Juliana Hatfield. Track: “King Of America“
Jesu/Sun Kil Moon – ST
– Mark Kozelek, one of my favorite talkers, teams with Jesu, co-founder of industrial metal band Godflesh. Opening track: “Good Morning My Love”
John Zorn – Madrigals
– Zorn composes an a cappella work for six female voices.
Luther Wright and the Wrongs – Hearts and Lonely Hunters
– Canadian alternative-country and bluegrass rockers. Track: “Come Over & Jam“.
Mick Rhodes – Paradise City
– Yet another alternative-country act. This one described as AC/DC meets Lucinda Williams. Their most recent album features guest musicians who play with Dave Alvin, Fishbone and Jayhawks.
R. Stevie Moore – Of The Problematic Delight [Bandcamp]
– The lo-fi legends 400-somethingth album as a free download.
Savages – Adore Life
– British post-punk revival band’s follow-up to 2013’s hit “Silence Yourself”. Video: “Adore“.
Shearwater – Jet Plane and Oxbow
– Started as a side project for members of Okkervil River, they have released almost twice as many albums as Shearwater. Video: “Quiet Americans“.
Sonya Kitchell – We Come Apart
– Folk singer/songwriter has worked with Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Chaka Khan, Quincy Jones, and Joni Mitchell. Video: “Mexico“.
Steven Wilson – 4 ½
– Singer/Guitarist of Porcupine Tree releases his 5th solo album.
Tortoise – Catastrophist
– Chicago post-rock outfit returns after a four-year absence. Track: “Gesceap“.
Ty Segall – Emotional Mugger
– Extremely prolific garage rocker has put out an album every year and many more under other names.